Members of the Joyful Ringers came together last Thursday evening to have a grand polishing party. Our bells were in need of some TLC. Our polishing cloths as well as our hands ended up completely black, but it was worth it! Thank you for the elbow grease, Joyful Ringers!! Check out the before and after, below:
The Chancel Choir has been invited to sing at a few “new gigs” this year. Check your calendars and join us for these special events:
Saturday, November 14 – The Wedding of Michael McGuire & Christopher Patrick McGuire @St. Paul’s UCC, 2335 N. Orchard, Chicago.
11:00 – 12:30 – rehearsal
12:30 – 2:30 – lunch provided
2:30 – ceremony
Members of Chancel Choir are invited to join together with members of St. Paul’s UCC, Chicago, and friends of the family to sing for this wedding of former Chancel Choir member and GCC members Michael & Christopher. RSVP & questions to Gary: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, December 19 – “A Toy-ful Celebration” concert benefiting Toys For Tots @GCC.
Since the “Toys Choir” retired 2 years ago, we have been in discussions about how this charity event would continue to move forward. The Music Board & Staff felt this was an important concert in the life of GCC, founded by Tricia Melzer Swaydrak 22 years ago, and should continue. In 2014 the concert was solely instrumental, performed by the Glenview Concert Band. It was decided that a vocal component to the concert was optimal for the future and that we would like to invite the choir to participate. This is a promising & exciting proposal because a) Chancel Choir has not had a charity event to call its own since Pasta Luigi ended some years ago, b) we believe the Chancel Choir would energize the audience (you *do* have fans, you know), and c) we will not be presenting a Do-It-Yourself Messiah. We will start this year by singing just 3 pieces on the concert. Perhaps this will be the beginning of a whole new tradition! Stay tuned, and thanks!
Sunday, March 13 – Concert for Peace, benefiting Hands of Peace @GCC.
2:30pm – Rehearsal in Choir Room
3:00 – Concert
As support for this beautifully programmed event, organized by Katherine Hughes & Kevin Kizer, has grown we felt it only appropriate to invite the entire choir to participate. Stay tuned for details on repertoire. The musicians involved in this concert are not to be missed, and the Chancel Choir will be the perfect addition to the team.
Glenview Community Church is blessed to have a fund from which we purchase some of our dreams and wishes – “one-time purchase” types of things and items not included in the operating budget. The Music Board and Music Staff want to thank all of you for supporting the music ministry of this church through this fund over the many decades the fund has been in existence. Your donations this past year alone have allowed us to:
- Hire a band for our St. Patrick’s Day supper
- Purchase new, lockable file cabinets for the Children’s Choir library
- Hire a summer “intern” to set up data base and begin cataloging the Clonts Reserve Library of rare sacred and secular solo/duet/ensemble literature
- Purchase a small copy machine for the Clonts Library
- Purchase music for the Pilgrim Wind Quartet, which has no budget
- Pay for moving a new piano donated to GCC for use in the Mayflower Room
- Give an annual monetary gift to Simple Gifts Concert Series, which has no budget
- Purchase gloves and mallets for the Joyful Ringers
- Purchase a bell tree stand for the Joyful Ringers
- Purchase folders for the Chancel Choir
- Purchase peripheral equipment for the new timpani (mallets, etc.)
- Commission a handbell piece for the Joyful Ringers in celebration of their 30th Anniversary in program year 2015-2016
- Commission an organ piece for the 75th Anniversary of GCC
- Commission a hymn for the 75th Anniversary of GCC
The Music Board and Music Staff collaborate each year to create a “wish list” to help support the vibrancy and forward movement of this treasured resource – the music ministry of GCC. To make a donation, simply send your gift to the GCC office clearly marked for the Friends of Music, or put a “Music Offering” envelope (found in the lobby kiosks) into the Sunday offering plates. Thank you for your continued support!
-The Music Board & Music Staff of GCC